Our mission is to present Christ as Savior and to pursue Him as Lord.
“Evangelical” in our name represents our commitment to the Bible as the Word of God and also reflects our desire to share the good news of salvation through faith in Jesus Christ. Our English word “evangelical” comes from the Greek root “euangelion” which is translated good news or gospel.
“Free” as we use it represents the freedom from a State religion. The Free Churches came from the state churches of Europe and wanted freedom to direct their own affairs. We are a congregational form of church government. Evangelical Free Churches are united more as an association than a denomination. There are over 40 Evangelical Free churches throughout New England.
The Evangelical Free Church is an association of nearly 1,300 autonomous churches joined together by common purposes, principles and practices. Ministries include two universities, mission hospitals, camps, almost six hundred missionaries serving in forty-five countries, and institutions for children and the elderly.
Our Church History
The Branford Evangelical Free Church began as a Bible study in a home in 1955. As attendance grew the church moved to The Academy on the Green. In 1957, a building was purchased on Hopson Avenue from Tabor Lutheran. Further growth prompted the purchase of property and construction of a new building on Leetes Island Road where the church has been meeting since September 1986. In 2006, we celebrated 50 years of ministry. Since the early years the church has believed that its ministry reaches beyond Branford to the towns and communities that surround it on the Connecticut Shoreline. Our mission includes spiritual growth both individually and corporately but also the physical growth of the congregation as we represent Jesus Christ to our family, friends, and community.